Sunday, July 13, 2008

Oklahoma-Buffalo Hunting


Wednesday, July 9th, 2008

               Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge was established by Teddy Roosevelt shortly after the Oklahoma land rush of 1889 to preserve some of the last remaining untouched prairies for the preservation of the buffalos that were facing extinction (no comment necessary).  



Today, there are hundreds of these beautiful creatures running wild here at the refuge.
I have been coming here since before I can remember, but I have never seen so many of them this close. I'm sure my kids will never forget either. Of course the adrenaline of driving away from the bulls following us, with an interesting look in their eyes, will help engrain it in their minds for many years to come.













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sure is a wonderful way to do a trip diary! Mom misses you all but knows you are having the time of your lives! Have a wonderful, quiet time with family in Grand Lake. Be sure and post pictures of the lake. Hope it is as GRAND to you as I was when I was a kid visiting this lake. Love, Mom & Grandma Nancy